Gaithersburg, MD Seasonals Department:
Are you passionate about parks, trees, and workings outside? Do you have a desire to builds your knowledge and gains hands-on experience in the fields of landscaping and horticulture?
If this sound like you, Montgomery Parks, Horticulture, Forestry and Environmental Educations Division (HFEE) is the place you want to be! We are currently seeking a highly motivated Tree Care Assistants to join our Horticulture team at Pope Farm Nursery located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The Tree Care Assistants will start their day at Pope Farm Nursery, but work will work will primarily be at various Parks across Montgomery County. The candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to enhancing and beautifying the vast Parks system in Montgomery County.
Montgomery Parks, part of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner. The Montgomery County Department of Parks has a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. We manage 424 parks on over 37,000 acres of parkland.
· Works as part of a team performing general landscaping in various Parks across Montgomery County.
· General landscaping duties include tree watering, mulching, pruning, weed removal, tree harvesting and planting.
· Responsible for installation and maintenance of landscape beds.
· Operates landscape maintenance equipment such as: mowers, string-trimmers, and various other hand-tools.
· Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
· Minimum of a High school diploma or GED
· Possess a valid driver’s license
· Basic knowledge of trees, landscape and grounds maintenance practices and techniques is helpful.
· Skill in performing specialized tasks and using tools and equipment. Knowledge of or willingness to be trained to operate small equipment such as Dingo’s, skid steer, tractors, and water truck.
· Commercial Driver’s License
· Candidate must complete full background check before hire.
· This position does not include benefits.
· The position is seasonal, part-time. Work schedule is weekdays Monday through Friday
· Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).